Wednesday, January 2, 2013

THE INVISIBLE MAN VOUS PROPOSE: THREE QUEENS PEAS AND RICE





Years and years ago, in the company of former/lost/were they ever? friends in Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas, I asked one of the proprietors of the excellent downtown Three Queens restaurant for her peas and rice recipe.  Following (below evocative holiday frippery)  is an exact transcription of the manuscript that stately lovely woman gave me. 


I advise you to Try It -- you can do it and eventually you'll get it right and Bahamian.  It's worth it.


 


I've eaten peas and rice all over the Caribbean and also a great many of the world's rice and beans variations.  My daughter Jane, who has an aversion to most vegetables set before her, was practically raised on Brazilian versions of rice and beans and she loves them deeply.  


Happy New Year (I hope; I’m skeptical).  Personally, I'm off and embarked on a restorative, refining eight month totally miso soup diet.  


Be seeing you (as you'll be seeing less of me).






Three Queens Peas and Rice

Onion
Celery
Sweet pepper
Vegetable oil
Salt
Pepper
Accent
Water
Peas
Tomato paste
Rice

Saute vegetable in a few tablespoons of vegetable oil
Add tomato paste and fry briefly
Add thyme, salt, Accent, water
Add peas
Boil
Add rice and pepper and cook uncovered until done





Additional Frippery -- 21st Century Schizoid Man -- King Crimson (Link)

No comments:

Post a Comment